Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Life is happening

I've had a lot to think about lately. All within a week- Our bunny died. Our fridge died, and Tom's Uncle Roger died. These things come in 3's so we were done. Then our sweet neighbor Sarali died from complications from spina bifida. A few years ago she had been Tristan's primary teacher & my visiting teacher. She always asked me how I was doing, such a good visiting teacher!
We'll miss all of them.

Max, the bunny, had the snuffles since August, it turned into a respiratory infection. He started losing weight, getting smaller every day. I called a vet, so I could tell the kids I tried. No, I called the vet to see if there was anything that could be done. He told me to hold him and pet him and love on him. We did that a lot. Blood came out his nose and he wiped at it with his front paws. I bathed him before the kids got home from school. What if he died, he'd need to be clean and soft for them to say goodbye. (Oh, I must be getting old because it all makes me cry.) Tom held the hair dryer and I brushed his velvet fur. He didn't complain. (The bunny didn't complain) He never liked being bathed before, this time was so different. He just laid in my lap. So soft and warm. The kids came home and he was ready for them to hold and love him. He died in his hutch two days later. We had a little funeral after church. I'll never forget Trevor's little quivering lips. He was not going to cry...until we talked about it. It was okay to cry. Seeing Max's little body we talked about his spirit. I am so glad we have a knowledge about life and death. I know his spirit will never die. We are thankful for that. Pets teach so much. Katie was upset we didn't have flowers in the yard to toss in the hole and put on the mound of dirt. We managed to find one last bouquet of dried roses, a rose for each of us. Then it was over. Less than a minute later Katie asked if we could get another rabbit tomorrow. The boys were mad at her. I said let's be sad for Max today and talk about another rabbit on a different day. Everyone agreed.

Then our fridge died. We are trying to fix it but in the meantime it's all cleaned out and we are using the one in our garage. I always wanted to be a farm girl. Now I say, "I'm going out to get some eggs," or "will someone go get the milk." Ha ha. Like a farm. A little.
Then Tom's Uncle Roger died. Again I felt like funerals are a reunion. For us gathered together with loved one's we don't see often enough and for the one departed, a special reunion for them too.
Last month Russell's broken front tooth died. (I should post that story) So we have someone else's share of three's. Then Kevin broke his glasses. Russell told us in sacrament meeting he didn't know what page we were singing on. I saw him looking over at everyone else's books trying to see what page. I leaned over and whispered to him that the page we are singing was up at the front of the chapel, it was the third group of numbers down, for our third song. He said, "I don't see any numbers up there." I made him an appointment. The dr. said Russell must not be a complainer. He should have been complaining.
I had 3 cold sores (one ending the day the new one begins) and a canker sore in my mouth. That alone could make me feel rotten. My sister called and I told her about all these things that were happening. I said something like what is happening?
She said,"life is happening."

wow. Then if that 's all it is
I can handle it. I already feel better. :)

2 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

So sad about the bunny and Tom's Uncle and your VT and the tooth (definitely want to hear about that) and all of the other things that are going on. It just never stops, does it. I always think that maybe tomorrow it will slow down just a little so I can have one day to do nothing...but that particular tomorrow has never come yet. I'm thinking about you all the time. Must mean it's time to use the telephone. :)

Laura said...

Oh, that story about the bunny just makes me sad. I wish we had had time to stop by while we were in town. I miss your family, and the kids would have loved to see your kids. Hope you're done with the threes for now!