Thursday, March 21, 2013

So blessed! (Setting up chairs story)

From my journal-
March 21, 2013
"I feel so blessed today! And so very thankful. Today my kids were helping me set up at the church for the Relief Society Birthday Dinner. A terrible thing happened. Katie's folding chair collapsed under her and she fell to the ground with her left fingers pinched tight in the chair.
At first she was embarrassed of the noise and fall and quickly said, "I'm okay!" But I could see her get up with her hand still stuck in the chair. I hurried to her and pulled. Oh! The chair was stuck tight and her fingers were purple.
We rushed to the kitchen sink and kept her hand (and chair) under the cool water. I think it was on our way to the sink that I actually dialed the phone number for Station 4. We needed help and fast. 801-852-6324 Brandon Vickory answered. I told him it was Amy Torgersen and my daughter's hand is stuck in a folding chair. But wait, we aren't home. We are at the church. 1560 South 1100 West. They came fast, but before they came, Nicole Hamilton stood behind us at the sink and said a prayer. A calming prayer that we could stay calm while we waited.
It worked, I feel like I did a good job remaining calm-at least compared to my history of fainting and flapping my arms.
I had held a metal spoon in the chair to pry it open, at least it gave her a little relief. I worried the firemen couldn't cut through such a thick chair but they cut through cars. I worried her fingers would be off. She is a piano player! Oh how I worried but remained calm and calmed Katie, reminding her to breather slower. It could have been so much worse.
The firemen spread it open with pliers and she pulled her fingers out! She's going to have a full recovery. She has all 10 fingers. They were pretty flat and purple. Oh, it was so hard. Life is fragile. Our bodies can be hurt so easily. It was only soft tissue damage. Jeff Wise was there too. I'm thankful she was helped and she's going to be okay. After everyone cleared out of the kitchen, I held my arms around her. I whispered she was so lucky. She had worried too that her fingers would be lost. I said a prayer with her. We had felt so thankful that we had to tell Heavenly Father."

September 8, 2018
Today while going through pictures from 2013 I saw this one from the church kitchen. I got out my journal and typed up the entry that goes to this picture. It made me cry again. I am still so thankful she was okay. I love the memory of the firemen rushing in and I was thinking, "these guys are my friends!" I often tell people that when we have something go wrong it's always when Tom is at work! At least that means we had our own shift, Shift A, the guys I know the best to come and help. I love living in the same city where Tom serves. So blessed.

No comments: