Caught the tiny frogs near FISH LAKE
It's been like a zoo around here lately. In more than one way! More pets, and more craziness. A nice weekend was spent together at FRYING PAN CAMPGROUND at FISH LAKE NATIONAL FOREST. We love it there. Tom's ancestors are from that part of the state after immigrating from Norway.
The drive up "7 Mile" is scary for me, I don't like it when the truck is wider than the road, so near the edge of the road. The kids said I needed to close my eyes. That way I wouldn't know if another car is coming up the road in the opposite direction and about to share the narrow road with us, pushing us to the very edge. I said I needed a medicine to put me to sleep! Tom shared a funny story to get me distracted. It was about some guy in a job interview answering a question about how close to the edge he could drive the big truck. The first guy said he could drive this close, and the second could drive even closer, and (SORRY Tom I am ruining your joke again!) the third guy said he would drive his truck as far away from the edge as he could. Long story (or joke) made short. The third guy is who got hired. So there we were driving so close to the edge of the road, with a drop off. Tom did a good job staying off the edge. I know HE stayed as far away from the edge as he could. ;)
Then it was over, we were finally driving across the flat plains.
Love it.
Love it when it is flat.
About the frogs.
A swamp was near the road. After stopping to check it out, water dogs were spotted! We learned about these baby salamanders at a Ward camp out two years ago. Then the croaking started, and frogs were everywhere! So tiny they could sit on a fingernail and look up at you. We caught about 30. The kids were covered in black swampy mud.
On the way back down they all said, "MOM, SLEEP!"
Here are some frogs in a gallon glass jar. They are meat eaters. We feed them ants. Lots of ants. It's fun to watch them jump so fast and chomp chomp swallow swallow the big bug. Today we dropped the ants in from the top of the jar. Then when the lid was back on, we dropped them through the holes in the top of the lid.
IT'S LIKE MANNA FROM HEAVEN!
3 comments:
Amy! I love it when you update! And those frogs are amazingly small! What are you going to do with them? More! More stories! I love to hear from you.
Here are more stories Heather! At least once a day I am asked if i have posted to the blog or not. When my kids wake up they are gonna be so HAPPY! They love the music on here, so they are constantly checkin the blog.
Mmm, Fish Lake. I've never stayed at Frying Pan. We always stayed at Bowery Creek when I was growing up. Now the family is usually at Lakeside or the Lodge. Anywhere you go is great though, don't you think?
Post a Comment