Tuesday, September 1, 2009

SLUGBUG!


If this blog is about what's going on, then I hafta mention the slugbugs!  My right arm is sore when I am driving and my left arm is sore when Tom is driving.  It's my turn to find the first slugbug and make someone else's arm sore!  No, that wouldn't be nice.  My slugs are always soft.
It all started this summer.  If you see a volkswagon bug or buggy, like Trevor calls it, then you get to call it out and hit the nearest person.  Who made this up?  Trevor had a better question.  My kindergardener asked, "Mom, who invented the buggy?" 
Aha, we can look that up when we get home. Right after that we were at the library and just happened to come across, really, it was right in front of us!  This old movie titled, the History of the Volkswagon. It was a nightmare watching that movie with 5 kids hitting each other every 3 seconds, so I hear.  I didn't stay to watch it.  I watched it later.  
It was Hitler's idea. The car was designed to look like a beetle.  A beetle is a bug, we usually kill bugs.  It was suppose to be so ugly it was cute.  It was a car that would show no class status.  Instead of looking at what the Jones's drive, it wouldn't show the year.  It would be the same year after year. For rich and for poor.  Hitler designed a wonderful road system throughout Germany.  This car would make it possible for those roads to be used.  At the time only big long expensive cars were available, like one for $15,000.  A salary of 10 years at the time.
So I asked oh, "Slug! Like 'hit' because it came from Hitler?"
 No mom go watch the movie. So I did. So why do we slug?
The other day I heard this while driving to school...
SLUGBUG red
SLUGBUG baby blue convertible
Then Trevor said, SLUGBUG smart car!
We stared at him.
He went on, 
SLUGBUG blue,
SLUGBUG silver.
He sees so many buggies.  He must have liked the smart car.
My grandpa had a nice creamy white bug he drove me to work in it several times.
Tom's parents had an orange bug.
Two of my kids have decided they want one when they grow up!
Then the questions started, what is THAT car?  Now they know all these car brands, we have never looked at cars this way before.  It was exciting when they saw a porsche, and today an old Camaro.   It's something new to  be looking at cars.  It sounds like a boy thing, it just never happened before.  Except a hand painted camouflage car once in a while, that always caught their attention.  
Oh these are the joys of being the chauffeur!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Boyce calls them Curby Cars. He got it from Naomi, who got it from watching Herbie. He loves them too. There's a yellow one just down the street from us that he loves to watch for. Lucky for me, we don't do slugbug. :-)

Amy said...

Curby Cars sounds cute! You are LUCKY you don't have slugbugs going around. I think when I was little it was against the rules.

Amy and David said...

We have 2! A red one and a blue one (even though the red one is in Idaho). It's funny to hear little kids get all excited when they see our car.